In the Rampjaar

Go down

In the Rampjaar

Post by taixyz1992 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:09 pm

The name of the tower refers to the fact that it was used to mint coins in the 17th Century. In the Rampjaar ("disastrous year") of 1672, when both England and France declared war on the Dutch Republic and French troops occupied much of the country, silver and gold could no longer be safely transported to Dordrecht and Enkhuizen (where coins were normally minted), so the guard house of the Munttoren was temporarily used to mint coin.
The guard house is not the original medieval structure but a 19th Century fantasy. The original guard house, which had survived the fire of 1618 relatively unscathed, was replaced with a new building during 1885-1887 in Neo-Renaissance style. An underpass was added to the building during a 1938-1939 renovation.
The Munttoren will receive new foundations to prevent it from sagging during construction of the Noord/Zuidlijn, the new metro line. The city has allocated 1.9 million euros for this purpose, according to a May 17, 2006 report in the newspaper Het Parool.
Scale models of the tower are exhibited at Madurodam in The Hague and at Mini-Europe in Brussels.





best online bingo
cash games

taixyz1992
Sleeping Sun
Sleeping Sun

Number of posts : 63
Points :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-09-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum